February violence tally: 10 women murdered, 10 suspicious deaths
- 10:48 6 March 2023
NEWS CENTER - According to the data compiled by our agency, 10 women and 2 children were killed in February, 10 women suspiciously lost their lives.
While violence is increasing in Kurdistan and Turkey, the data in the press reflects a very small part of the picture. With the earthquake that took place on February 6, this apparent part came to the fore less. While women's organizations see the increasing violence as related to the masculine discourses of the power, the violence cases experienced confirm this determination. Impunity and reductions applied by the judiciary after violence pave the way for all kinds of violence and massacres.
According to our agency's February violence tally, 10 women and 2 children were murdered, 10 women died suspiciously. Three women were attempted to be murdered.
The perpetrators are still the closest
3 of the women were murdered by their divorced, 2 married men, 1 by their father, 1 by their brother, 1 by their friend. While the degree of affinity of the perpetrators of the two women is unknown, one of the perpetrators murdered the woman while she was in the divorce phase, and there was a decision to ban the other.
Distribution by provinces
The distribution of massacres of women by provinces is as follows: Istanbul 2, Adana 1, Aydın 1, Manisa 1, Samsun 1, Antalya 1, Kocaeli 1, Ankara 1, Konya 1.
Massacre of women
* A man named Mehmet Dopoğlu murdered his daughter Zülfiye Dopoğlu and her fiancé Abdülsamet Kocaman with a firearm in the Çukurova district of Adana.
* Celal Taşkıran murdered Yeter Zorba, whom he divorced 32 years ago, with a cutting tool in the Didim district of Aydın.
* Leyla Seyidova was murdered in the house where she was in Ataşehir district of Istanbul.
* In the Soma district of Manisa, Emre Sürün killed his divorced Bahar Kırbaş with a cutting tool.
* Erdemir E.S. in the Çarşamba district of Samsun. murdered his older sister Zeliha Nur Sürmüş and her friend Akın Toraman with a firearm.
* Erkan Onur Eldemir, who had a restraining order in Antalya's Kepez district, killed his divorced Ayşegül Şimşek with a cutting tool.
* In the Çayırova district of Kocaeli, a man named Erdem Kale murdered his friend Cansu Güneş using a firearm.
* In Ankara, a man named Barbaros Ulusoy murdered Filiz Ulusoy, whom he was in the process of divorce, his brother Ediz Ulusoy, and his own child and one of Ediz's children, using firearms.
* In the Çekmeköy district of Istanbul, a man named Volkan Yüksekova murdered Gülistan Yüksekova, to whom he was married, with a cutting tool, and attempted to murder his mother Ülkiye Yüksekova.
* An unidentified woman was murdered in the Ereğli district of Konya, and her bodily integrity was damaged.
Suspicious female deaths
* Figen Çoban (40) was found suspiciously dead in her home in Yatağan district of Muğla. Mehmet Çoban (44) and his brother Süleyman Çoban, to whom Figen is married, were taken into custody and referred to the court. Mehmet and Süleyman were released on the condition of judicial control, with a ban on leaving the country imposed by the court they were brought to.
* Ayşe Uysal, in the Gazipaşa district of Antalya, was found suspiciously dead at the entrance of the building where she lived.
* Berna Shermetova and Muharrem Barış lost their lives suspiciously in a fire that broke out for an unknown reason in a slum in Antalya's Kepez district.
* İrem Öksüzali, who went to visit her grandmother in Sakarya's Geyve district, became suspicious and died in the hospital she was taken to.
* A woman named Emine Metin was found suspiciously dead with a firearm in a mountainous area in the Güzeltepe Mahallesi of Çiğli district of İzmir.
* A woman named Aysel Egin, who came to the Ünye district of Ordu from Germany for a while, was found suspiciously dead in the house she lived in.
* Ayşe Ekti (46) living in Zergûze Xwar village of Hezex (Idil) district of Sirnex was found suspiciously dead in her home.
* A woman's body was found in the sea on the coastal road of Ilkadım district of Samsun. In the examination, it was determined that the body belonged to a woman named Ayten Eriş.
* In the Altınkaya District of Tekkeköy district of Samsun, a woman named Şahsene Çaylayık fell suspiciously and died as a result of a cerebral hemorrhage.
* Hamide Salt Coşkun died suspiciously in Çorlu district of Tekirdağ.
Attempt to slaughter
* In the Küçükçekmece district of Istanbul, a woman was tried to be murdered with chemicals and firearms by her ex-boyfriend Muhammed Can Kardan, whom she had been subjected to persistent stalking, threats and harassment for months.
* In Hatay, a man named Savaş Altun tried to torture and murder his divorced Alev Altun.
* He attempted to murder his mother, Ülkiye Yüksekova, named Volkan Yüksekova, in the Çekmeköy district of Istanbul.
Murder of children
* In Ankara, a man named Barbaros Ulusoy murdered his own child and a child of Filiz Ulusoy's brother Ediz Ulusoy, whom he was in the process of divorce.
* In the final hearing of the case where Yunus Pek, who murdered Suna Pek, whom he was married to, was tried at the Van 1st High Criminal Court on May 15, 2022 in İpekyolu district of Wan, the court board sentenced the perpetrator to 20 years in prison by applying a "good behavior" reduction.
* Figen Çoban (40) was found suspiciously dead in her home in Yatağan district of Muğla. Mehmet Çoban (44) and his brother Süleyman Çoban, to whom Figen is married, were taken into custody and referred to the court. The suspects were released on condition of judicial control, with a ban on leaving the country imposed by the court they were brought to.
On the other hand, the violence data, some of which are reflected in the press every month, were not included in the press this month due to the heavy destruction of the Mereş-centered earthquake on February 6th. Therefore, the data in our tally represent the lowest figures.